When I started out on this project my goal was to make witnessing for this blockchain easy to get up and running. Since then I have helped many people start and update their witness which gave me insight on where the stumbling blocks still are in the process.
Today I released version 2.1.0 of the Smoke Witness Hotbox. This release contains a script that will set up your server for you.
Here's what happens when you run
- Change your root password (if you have not already)
- Update your operating system
- Install a firewall and lock down your ports
- Install Docker
- Create a new non-root user
- Revoke root user login over SSH
- Update Your Shared Memory
- Create the
hotboxdirectory in your new users home
run.shinto the hotbox directory
- Download the Hotbox from Docker hub.
The entire script can be found here.
With this new script all the new user has to do is configure the Smoked and the CLI Wallet.
For the most up to date walk through please visit the Github Wiki
If you are interested it the development of this project, have questions, or feature requests please join us on Discord.
Currently Tested On:
|Ubuntu 19.10||Docker not installing|
|Ubuntu 18.04 LTS||Working|
|Ubuntu 16.04 LTS||Working|
Read the wiki for starting from scratch, updating, or moving from a non-Hotbox based witness.
If you would like to contribute to this project by code, documentation, feature requests, for bug reporting please read the contribution page
Roadmap for V2.2.0
- Add the option to run as an RPC node
- Witness disabled check to update script
- Script to setup a new server running a Debian based system.
- Does basic security updates
- Installs Docker
- Creates new user
- Creates hotbox directory and downloads
changelog.mdwith missing releases
- update.sh to be the core file.
- install.sh to create a tmux session with two windows
- install.sh from hard coded version numbers to variables.
readme.mdto have quick information now that walk throughs are in GitHub wiki
- release to be