On the Smoke blockchain, witnesses serve a role of validating signatures and timestamping transactions by including them in blocks. A block is any group of transactions (posts, votes, transfers, etc) which update the state of the database. Each time a witness produces a block, they are paid for their service. If a witness fails to produce a block, then they are not paid, and may even be voted out.
Witnesses are generally expected to manage a reliable block producing node, implement a failover system, maintain a public seed node, tune blockchain operating parameters, but since Smoke is a infant blockchain most of the above mentioned are not rarely implemented yet.
As a Smoke user who wants to see this platform continue to grow and flourish, we all have 30 votes to cast for any Smoke witness of our choice and I will say this is the most important 30 votes you will ever cast on this platform.
Lets call them Blockchain Guardians or a slight used term block producers.
Meet our Blockchain Guardians is a series put in place to know more about our very own witnesses, there roles and obligations. We need them as much as they needs us. Our witness are the leaders on the platform and thus it is our paramount importance that we due our due diligence before casting our votes.
Today I had the opportunity to interview a person that helped me out from the start of my Smoke journey and I am very grateful for this person.
What brought you to Smoke?
- My partner and I enjoy crypto and cannabis. Seemed to be a perfect place.
What got you interested in becoming a witness?
- I(bitcoinparadise) have been a witness on Steem for over a year total and on other Graphene-based platforms. I am learning development and what better way to learn than to run a witness.
My partner @heaterville, wants to learn as well and understands to contribute to the network.
What have you developed for smoke?
- We have not developed anything for smoke yet. I am not a developer but still learning and plan to create similar tools used on Steem and my partner is not a developer. We bring a community project and understand the initial launch phase requires many different parts beyond development. Focusing on onboard of new users and user retention is our initial focus, as well as providing the community with information on the Smoke platform. Development and collaborations with developers with come in the near future.
Being a witness takes a lot of time and energy, how do you keep a balance between this and other commitments?
- It is not much of a struggle when you work with a team or the type of witness you are. There are ones that run full nodes, do development on apps and on the blockchain. Those are usually the ones in the top 20 as should be and do a lot of work. But then there's ones that run a basic witness node to contribute to block production and so there is time keep the balance easier. Mainly staying organized(something I need to work on) and having the right information to be able to maintain a witness.
Where do you see Smoke in 5 years?
- In 5 years, I see it competing or being at the top for Cannabis supporters, content producers, etc. It really depends on where the market goes. But that's the great thing is we have the ability to create this market and steer the market if we as a community choose to do so.
When you are not in front of your computer helping the Smoke community, what other hobbies do you have?
- I enjoy working with my hands so I work on cars or just creating stuff. I'm also into sports. So NFL fantasy anyone?
If you could only vote for one witness (not yourself) who would it be and why?
- That is a tough one. There are many great witnesses and Smoke can't run on just 1 witness(node) but if I had to choose 1. Sorry but it's would have to be @roelandp. Love that guy and he's help most if not all graphene-based blockchains get off the ground and more.
If you could have one super power, what would it be?
- My answer has always changed with this one. Well right now, all I can think of is the power to teleport. It would save so much time in my life. I could say the power to control time, but then you get into all that paradox stuff and don't feel like going there.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer a couple questions for our community. 🤝🏻
As Smoke users we need to do everything in our power to choose Block Guardians that will represent the community well. Before voting make sure you do some research on the people you are voting for and be informed. Head over to https://smoke.io/~witnesses and click on some of the witnesses names, get to know them a bit better and do your part to make sure this community thrives.
Now that you have read something about @bitcoinparadise, It will be good and kind of you to show them some love by going to the witness page, search the box and type @moonblocks to cast your vote for them as your Block Producer.
Please catch our next Meet Our Blockchain Guardians soon. Take Care.
Meet our Blockchain Guardians Series:
Thank you for reading, I @chronocrypto one of your top Witnesses thank you for your time.
SmokeD - Smoke Data Explorer is also running nice and smoothly
SmokeD has everything you need in regards to Smoke blockchain.
In case you haven't read my Witness Application/Intro
Find me on Discord, Lets explorer this frontier together!!
I am the Robot looking guy.
✅ Every Single Vote Counts!
Please take a minute to jump over to the Block Producer / Witness page and cast your votes. Simply click on the (^) up arrow next to my username "chronocrypto" and supply your private account or active key to lock in your vote.